Sunday, May 12, 2013

In relation to Mother's Day



Going back to school after 25 years is challenging. The challenge is even steeper because computers were not available in Russia until mid-nineties, and my college thesis was hand-written and retyped on a typewriter using carbon copy paper. Now I use technology as a consumer and my teenage daughter is my 24/7 IT consultant.

Part of me longs for the time when librarians didn’t have to worry much about technology and spent most of their time surrounded with books. However, this longing is overpowered by two major considerations. First, I must catch up with the times before my daughter goes away to college leaving me helpless. Second, and more important, as a librarian, I will not be able to do my job without mastering modern information technology.

Now, do you think my daughter is helping me with homework for this class (like blog redesign)? You will have to guess because am not telling. 

3 comments:

  1. Your perspective is always so enlightening and your passion contagious! Just from having classes with you, I think you'll be an amazing asset to any library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This means a lot coming from you. I love your posts, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Challenging, indeed. I had been out of school for over fifteen years when I entered the MLIS program, so I understand how you feel. With a bit of luck and plenty of caffeine, we should both come out of this alive.

    As for your daughter going off to college, you can always Skype with her. But you'd have to figure out how to work the blasted thing. Oh, yes... "helpless". :)

    ReplyDelete