Thursday, May 30, 2013

Best for last

Last day of class! All is left is to finish the paper. I can do it. I am not too worried. This post is about something else. Throughout this class we have been talking about digital natives. Boy, do I have an example for you! I have been saving this story for a rainy day, but now I can set it free.

My 10 y.o. son was assigned a project on Bull Run. As a foreigner, I am not familiar with this book, but you probably are. One of my favorite things about my kids (have I mentioned earlier that they are awesome?) that they are completely self-sufficient with their homework. Good thing, because mom and dad have their own. My husband got his EdD right before I started this program, so they are used to parents holed up in the office cursing through their teeth.

Anyway, back to the story. In this particular case he probably could have used some reference help from me, but he didn't. He went straight to Wikipedia and was quite surprised to find his friend's name on the list of main characters. Challenge accepted, my 10 y.o. figured out how to add his name as well. He was very proud for a few minutes, but had the decency to remove both names right away (because he is awesome!). The moral of the story: don't rely on Wikipedia, because a pesky digital native might be messing with it as we speak.

This is my last heart-felt post. It has been a pleasure to lean on you and learn from you. I hope I did not mope too much in my posts both here and on Twitter. I will still follow those of you who don't mind and please feel free to follow me, although I don't know how active I will be from now on. That hashtag has become second nature, but don't forget to lose it after today. Thank you, good luck, and see you next time.

P.S. I still have to post the paper. I solemnly swear before any of you who check this out while procrastinating on you own papers that it will be done today before midnight.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like a 10 year old with a computer!

    Good luck finishing today!

    ReplyDelete