Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Here Comes the Caboose

I don't know if I am the very last one to finish my site, but it is looking that way. Yes, I am admittedly late (but not too late, right, Dr. Yang?). However, I am ridiculously proud of my website. You do not want to know how many hours I spent on it. I really think that it is not bad for a complete rookie like me. Of course, experts will cringe at how rough it is, but so what? I did it all by myself, armed with nothing, but a fuzzy tutorial.

In your face, my in-house computer experts, you, with your AP exams, finals, and business trips! (No offense, I will be begging you for help soon enough!) All by myself I created this thing of simple beauty, the kind that only mother could love.

It all started with me missing the first three day of the module, due to circumstances completely out of my control (see Life Interferes, below). When I finally sat down to Joomla I was trembling with fear. Poor Joomla surely generated a lot of hatred and pure venom from many of you. I had the benefit of your comments and advice, so thank you, trailblazers! The most helpful suggestion, repeated by many, was to work along with the tutorial. So, I was pausing and rewinding every two seconds. I have to say that if it were not for the time constraints I would probably enjoy the process. However, I was terrified that I will be kicked out of the program, like some others, or that something will not save and the work will disappear. I also tried to stop tinkering with every font size, color, and picture. I just didn't want my website to be a complete flop.

When the first web sites started to appear, I became completely intimidated. They were beautiful, the subjects were interesting, and, you did that so fast! As the deadline neared, my pace was becoming more and more frantic. There was simply too much to do. I didn't find Joomla's structure as cumbersome as some of you did. Maybe it is because I had nothing to compare it with. At some point, I realized that I could work without the tutorial and thought that I was almost done.

Then the unthinkable happened. I realized that my particular topic required a feature that was not explained in the tutorial: a drop-down menu The panic set in and just like that I was lost. So I decided to put it off until this morning. Thankfully, today is my day off. Low and behold, I found the appropriate topic in the Joomla help section and I figured out how to do it! I literally jumped up and down, I was so proud.

My topic actually stems from a project that we do at my church. For two years now we have been featuring a country every Sunday, in alphabetical order, to expand our world vision. We are now on letter N. The whole project is expected to take almost 5 years. I write most of the country profiles, but the ones I posted on a site are about a year old. I changed some facts (like newly elected leaders), but there may be some outdated information. I am sorry!

I do hope that some of you will take a look and tell me what you think, even though the new deadlines are looming ahead.

4 comments:

  1. I think your drop down menus are awesome! They look wonderful, not 'homemade' at all! Your whole site is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asele,
    I do love your writing style. You have a way with words. I saw that has been your profession in the past. I hope that in your spare time (ha, ha, ha...obviously not in May!) you also pursue more writing!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! I love this post! You have described my feelings exactly about my webpage. What is plain to others, is beautiful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all are too sweet. Thank you. Nice to have the support and encouragement. Renee, thank you for your comments on my writing. I only write if absolutely have to, but when I do, I enjoy it. Don't know if I will ever be able to write for pleasure. Great last week to you all!

    ReplyDelete